Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: OT: help with computer prob?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member rev.tsukiyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    273
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know this is seriously o.t., but I'm getting desperate here!

    Can anyone please shed some light on a problem I'm having with my computer.
    I keep my blog at pitas com. When I try to tweak the html and hit the save changes button I get a "cannot find server" error. The same goes for saving pages at my lunarpages domain. And using FTP. ANd leaving comments on blogs. The progress-indicator-blue-line-thing in the status bar (i'm using IE) goes halfway then I get the error message.

    I had some sucess using system reset, but the problem came back. I'm pretty certain It's not an 'internet options' problem. All I can think is that my computer sudenly has issues with CGI - but surely posting this involves CGI....argh. I dont want to reload windows and lose all my files.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member kamitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Er, you can reinstall windows without losing your files.

    Have you considered the possibility that you might have a virus?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Risu-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    659
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    (whoa whoa whoa~!) No reinstall, no virus, no jump off deep end!

    Kamitoki, I'm 99.9% sure it's not a virus. Tsukiyama, I'm 100% sure you don't need to reinstall your operating system. ^^;;

    I think I remember Tsukiyama gets networking through AOHell, right?

    I'd wager good money that that's your problem right there.

    From the description, what's happening is that you're getting timeouts before your connection manages to find a correct DNS path to the server you're trying to contact. AOHell is notorious for its lousy DNS mapping, and since they farm it out across dozens (maybe hundreds) of DNS servers by now, here's my reconstruction of what's happening:

    1) Tsukiyama tells browser to go to page/FTP to go to a location.

    2) One of the AOHell DNS servers that has a clue about that site gives a correct response in a reasonable amount of time.

    3) Tsukiyama does stuff and hits send.

    4) Another AOHell DNS server (because you don't stay routed to the same one through your entire connection time @_@) has no clue what's being talked about and complains to dozens of other DNS servers and by the time they argue it out about which one is actually authoritative for the domain, the network protocol itself has said "screw this, it's taking too long, the server must be down."

    Unfortunately, the best solution I know of is to get a different ISP. AOHell is legendary for snafus like this, where entire sections of the Internet just vanish off their radar at random because of the nasty DNS mess they've got going...

    If it's not AOHell, there are other ISPs out there with DNS routing disaster areas just waiting to inflict themselves upon unsuspecting users. AOHell's just the most notorious of them.

    Go to an Internet cafe or a computer lab or someplace that's a distinctively different network and try it again... but I'm just about positive that what's causing this is the same thing that caused Tsukiyama to not be able to get to Hostboard for sizable chunks of time a few months back...

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rev.tsukiyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    273
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    :Laughs, manically:
    I just replied to this but I lost my connection when I posted. Arse.

    Anyway, Risu-chan - I'm so impressed, if a little paranoid, You remember my isp and past problems.

    DNS - that does sound about right. I tend to blame Gregor, my pc for everything. He's a bootleg frankenstein job. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much stuck with aol. My city has it's own idiosyncratic phone system, and most isp's expect you to be using the national telecom service instead. At the moment, I have to pay for all my time online as if it's a normal phonecall - ouch.

    I have been scanning for viruses, no sign of anything. Gregor may be stoopid but he has a solid immune system. ^^

    Oh well - I've got an idea what's wrong so I can have a go at sorting it out now. Thankyou!!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Risu-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    659
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by tsukiyama:
    :Laughs, manically:
    I just replied to this but I lost my connection when I posted. Arse.

    Anyway, Risu-chan - I'm so impressed, if a little paranoid, You remember my isp and past problems.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">^^;;; I'm not stalking you or anything, honest! I just tend to remember when I kick into tech support mode on anime forums, because chances are somebody else is going to ask the same question on some other forum and it's useful to be able to say "here's a link, go read" instead of retyping.

    Plus I missed you! ^__^ You're fun to have around, y'know?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member tenjou_sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Risu-chan the stalker! LOL [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Bah, I remember when I used to have AOL. It was back when I still had dial-up and my sister would always pick up the phone so I'd loose the connection.

    Plus I missed you! ^__^ You're fun to have around, y'know?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, yeah! You're great to have around! [img]cool.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rev.tsukiyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    273
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Me?? fun??? :blushes:
    I dont even /do/ anything!

    But....the DNS problem seems to be sorted! :g: I spread the bad karma all the way to AOL customer support but they werent very...supportive. In the end I just upgraded to a newer version of AOL and it seemed to re-set itself or something. Kinda like hammering a square peg until it fits into a round hole. ^^

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jadey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ahhh i am having a computer problem and it is sooo annoying! Everytime i get a pop up or if something like a movie opens in a new window, my comp says...you have had an error would u like to send a report or something like that. But then if i click the same link it works. Its soo annoying I dont know why this is happening cuz i have shut anything off, and as much as i hate pop ups, disabling them also means disabling windows that i actually want to pop up.

    >_<...any one know why this is happening?????

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Risu-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    659
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    (putting on tech support hat again)

    Take a screen shot of one of these "error report" windows and post a link to it for me. (To take a screen shot, use Ctrl + Print Screen, then open up Paint and paste the image from the clipboard, then save as JPG and put it on the Web somewhere.)

    If this is actually a Microsoft-generated error message, and I've seen them before, chances are that either there's bad code on the page or something's corrupted or overwritten some file or DLL that IE needs.

    If, on the other hand, it's a spammer's fake of a Microsoft-generated error message, then every time you "send a report" you're telling the spammer that they hit a live target.

    In either case, go get Ad-Aware (www.ad-aware.com) and run it on your computer. It's freeware. And it cleans up a heck of a lot of junk. It may not fix your error if it's a legitimate error, but it will get rid of a lot of spyware that people pick up just by surfing the Net.

    Also, to be able to select whether you want popups or not (with variable levels of control, from "we think this is a reasonable popup" down to "it only pops up if you specifically tell it that it can"), go download Popup-Free Surfer (or something like it), read the directions, and install and configure. (Make sure you get a popup-blocker from a reasonably reputable freeware distributor, though -- some "popup blockers" are actually spyware in themselves...)

    Your problem might be being caused by some random bit of spyware, by a DLL that needs updating or got accidentally updated to the wrong level for the rest of your package, or it might just be bad code on the page you're visiting. I can't guarantee this'll fix it, but I can guarantee the combination of these two things plus regularly running Windows Update (found under the Tools menu of IE) will go a LONG LONG way toward making your computer cleaner to use...

    ed: (sweatdrop) I know people who charge $60 an hour, minimum of an hour's charge, to do things like this. And I keep doing this and translating for free. If I got a brain and actually freelanced outside my work time, maybe I'd have enough money by now that I'd actually be able to buy a house... I've just never had a brain for things resembling actually making a profit on something...

    <font color="#660033" size="1">[ July 31, 2003 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Risu-chan ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member jadey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    bastard computer...i knew it was only faking >_<. Heres the pic of the error message

    http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/users/b621...K6gK_Ab77oTZIL

    this one was because i clicked on a music video and the link opened up as a pop up thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •